Worried about money?
Don’t let that hold you back!
If you want to go on a course or attend a taster day/experience and you’re worrying about the price tag then we may be able to help. Lots of different types of funding are available for studying resources; like uniform, materials, equipment and study based trips/visits or even travel costs – the £££’s can soon add up.
Usually funding is means tested (basically it depends on your families earnings) but don’t be put off by this; it can be very straight forward.
What types of funding are there?
- A bursary or grant, which you don’t have to pay back
- A loan, which you do have to pay back
- Other financial help towards fees or day-to-day living costs
Who can help with funding?
- Your school or college will have details of the different types of funding you may qualify for such as childcare, materials, equipment or a bursary.
Apply for grants from:
The Adams Youth Trust
Grants for advancement and education are available for young people aged 10-23 years old in the West Country. If you are looking for support in school, college or university simply write a letter with your requests to:
- The Adams Youth Trust, Greendale Court, Clyst St Mary, Exeter, Devon, EX5 1AW
For further information call: 01395 233433 (no website or email)
Batten Memorial Fund
Who can apply?
Further and Higher Education students who are in need, live in the counties of Somerset and Dorset and are studying, planning to study agriculture (broadest possible terms).
The grants range from £200 to £600 towards books, equipment/instruments.
How to apply:
Applications should be requested from the correspondent below between July and September. They are considered in October
Simon Clothier, c/o Symons & Sampson, 2 Court Ash, Yeovil, Somerset, BA20 1HG- Tel: 01935 23526
Royal Bath & West of England Society
The Grants & Scholarships committee of The Royal Bath & West of England Society is an Agricultural Charity with a remit to award grants and scholarships for the promotion of agriculture and rural crafts.
What we do
- Over the years money has been available to assist with funding several students through veterinary school. We have also contributed towards agricultural courses, livestock photography, an overseas study tour, woodland management and forestry courses, a rural art project and a rural leadership course to name just some examples of the varied requests that we have received and which have been successful. Wherever possible we ask our grantees to come and tell us about their projects or courses and to help steward at the various shows.
- The Grants Committee meets bi annually (spring and autumn) to consider applications
Mary HolmesPosition: AdministratorTel: 01749 822243Fax: 01749 823169
Bishops Fox Educational Foundation
- A Charitable Foundation with the aim of promoting the education of young people between the ages of 11 and 24
- Must live or go to school in the Taunton Deane area
- Further information & apply online here
- Please provide as much detail as possible on the application
Dairy Crest and National Farmers Union Scholarship Fund
- Available to students of all ages who are undertaking further education courses relating to the dairy industry.
- Sons and daughters of farmers or farm employees living in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset are eligible to apply for the fund.
- Application forms can be obtained from Adela Booth by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications must be made annually by 12 August and eligible applicants will be interviewed by a representative from the fund.
- Contact Adela Booth for more details 01363 776623
Illchester Relief in Need & Educational Charity
- One off grants available to students who live in the Parish of Illchester
- Applications can be submitted directly by the individual or through a third party such as their school or an educational welfare agency.
- Applications available to download here
Send to Wendy Scrivener, Milton House, Podimore, Yeovil, Somerset, BA22 8JF or talk to her on 01935 840070
Development Awards – cash grants of up to £500* to help young people get into education, training or employment . (*Award averages vary locally according to funding (please contact regional offices for more information.)
- Apply online here or speak to someone about all Prince’s Trust programmes and any general enquiries by calling 0800 842842
Prowdes Educational Foundation
- Boys and young men between the ages of 9 and 25 who live in Somerset
- One-off grants for boys in further or higher education, including postgraduates, for fees, uniforms, other school clothing, books, equipment, instruments, fees and study or travel abroad.
- The average grant to an individual is £450.
- Applications can be submitted directly by the individual, parents or occasionally social workers, and should include a birth certificate and evidence of acceptance for a course.
- They should be submitted in May/June for consideration in July.
Contact Mr Richard Lytle on 023 92 799142 to request an application form.
A B Lucas Memorial Awards –
- If you live in the administrative counties of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset, and those parts of Avon that were previously part of Somerset, and are undertaking the study of dairy agriculture.
- You could receive a one-off grant.
- You must be under 30, who wish to study dairy agriculture overseas. However, the trust is not limited to this.
How to apply::
In writing to to: J A Lindley, Nowers Farm, Wellington, Somerset TA21 9NN.
Somerset’s Rural Youth Project innovative Moped Loan Scheme supplies young people with an economical moped at reasonable cost.
If you go to college in Somerset students can apply to Somerset County Council for transport support, a County Ticket student bus pass. Applications forms are available from:
- Transporting Somerset, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset TA1 4DY. Tel No: 0845 3459155
College Bike Loan Scheme
If you live between 1 and 5 miles away, cycling might be a good option for getting to college / sixth form. It’s quick and cheap and very flexible because you are not tied to particular times to get a lift or catch a bus.
Somerset County Council are currently offering low-cost bicycles to students for the coming academic year. You can borrow a brand new 2013 Saracen Tufftrax mountain bike (worth £290) for just £49 for the year. At the same time, you pay a deposit of £89 and at the end of the year you decide if you want to return the bike and get your £89 back, or keep the bike (in which case the council keep your £89)
You can find more information on www.movingsomersetforward.co.uk/bike-loan.
National Rail Cards
Check out the 16-25 rail card – with constant offers there could be some savings available…every penny counts.