Have you thought about Volunteering?
To improve your employment opportunities volunteering could give you a head start and make your CV stand out. It is also another avenue for you to learn about yourself and what job would suit you.
- Experience – volunteering gives you a chance to get experience in a field you would like to work in.
- Increase job prospects & employability – volunteering can enhance your future employment prospects. It looks great on your CV, any application form and during job interviews you have examples of your experiences.
- Training – many of the volunteer projects will include training. You may be offered to attend some free courses e.g. First Aid, Food Hygiene etc.
- Career choice – gives you the opportunity to explore potential career choices.
- Networking – you build links with organisations and may help to get yourself a job in the future.
Have a look at this volunteering fact sheet from Volunteering Matters
Somerset Volunteer Network – join and become a member and find areas of interest.
Active Learning and Skills – Become a volunteer and work actively to improve your CV, gain new skills and get training.
You can search for volunteering positions here;
Volunteering Matters Charity
Somerset Wildlife Trust
If you know there is a position you would like to try out then take the initiative, approach the company/business and see how you could get a taste of the job.
- Attend an event
- Help out…in anyway
No matter how small the task or if you aren’t doing exactly the job you imagined, the experience is great to add you to your CV.