Entrepreneurs in Dairying:
A new business training programme for aspiring dairy producers has been launched by the Royal Association of British Dairy Farmers in collaboration with DairyCo, the NFU and The Andersons Centre. Called Entrepreneurs in Dairying, the programme will offer specialist instruction accompanied by a unique mentoring scheme for those who wish to progress their careers and develop their own farming business.
The programme will be run at three colleges from September 2014 – Cannington, Somerset; Gelli Aur, Carmarthenshire and Newton Rigg, Cumbria. Students will attend 8 training sessions held at the college.
See the full press release here.
- World dairy markets and the UK position
- Your career
- The dairy supply chain
- Sourcing finance
- Your business case
- Contracts and price management
- Challenges and opportunities
- Personal development & mentoring
The above sessions will be held at the host college apart from the first session which will take place at Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire. Dates for each session depend on the college hosting the course, please use the links below to download the information pack.
All students will be offered the opportunity to be matched with a mentor. The mentoring programme will be a one year commitment and will encourage students to progress with their dairy business. RABDF will be working with Get Mentoring in Farming to deliver this element of the programme.
How to apply
Application packs will be available to download shortly. Please click on the links below to download the application pack for that college.
Bridgwater College- Cannington Application Pack
Please note that there may be financial assistance available to interested students. This will vary depending on the host college. Please contact RABDF for more information.
If you have any questions about the course or would like more information on Entrepreneurs in Dairying please contact Emily Rowley by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0845 458 2711
Colliton Barton Training Centre
Working with colleagues at the Duchy College Rural Business School, Stuart Young Veterinary Services, and the Mount Veterinary Group of Wellington in Somerset, as well as others in the industry. The centre provides a training facility for the following groups:
- Those working in the dairy and poultry industries
- 6th form students considering a career in veterinary medicine
- Undergraduate veterinary students requiring practical experience prior to qualification
- Newly and recently qualified cattle & poultry vets
- Smallholders and backyard poultry keepers
We offer a bespoke on-farm facility to enable the teaching of a variety of courses for the agricultural and veterinary sectors. Modern, comfortable accommodation and classrooms at the heart of a large working commercial Organic Dairy and Poultry farm provide the opportunity to study theory and practice hand in hand in the beautiful Devon countryside, 5 minutes from the M5 and 15 minutes North of Exeter.
For an up to date list of events please follow this link
Colliton Barton are working with Dutchy College to run a dairy apprenticeship – The dairy apprenticeship taster day starts on 22nd July 2014 but for more details follow this link.
The Dairy Management Academy:
Building a stronger industry through leadership excellence
- The Dairy Management Academy is a joint initiative between the leading dairy consultancy business, Promar International, its parent company, the global breeding business Genus ABS and the largest UK specialist farm recruitment agency LKL Services. In addition, we work closely with many of the best dairy herds in the country
- The Dairy Management Academy will develop your skills following a defined structure to equip you for a career in this exciting industry. You will be challenged to build your technical and business skills is a practical way and learn how to get the most from the specialist teams now required to deliver profitable milk production.
- Module subjects include: nutrition, forages, condition scoring, staff management, fertility and genetics, grazing and management, finance, heifer rearing and business expansion.
- For more information follow this link:
Or contact James Webster : email@example.com or Patrick Spencer firstname.lastname@example.org