Agricultural Trainee Award – Sponsored by Bakers Cheddar
Bakers of Haselbury Plucknett is a family run farming business based near Crewkerne in Somerset. At present they have a herd of 1150 cows producing 35,000 litres of milk per day.
They believe in a healthy, well looked after and happy herd will produce the best quality milk.
Here are just some of the things they do to look after our cows:
- Daily fresh cow checks
- Review of health statistics, with targets to beat our already high standards
- Routine vet visits
- Fortnightly mobility checks
- Milking takes place 3 times a day 365 days a year
- All home bred replacements
Bakers of Haselbury Plucknett are committed to producing the highest quality milk possible from the healthiest cows. They do this by continually questioning and improving practices and procedures, and ensuring everybody at all levels within thier business are aware of the standards required.
Dairy Processing Trainee Award – Sponsored by Lye Cross Farm
The third generation of Farmers and Cheesemakers in Cheddar Valley since 1952 but the family have farmed the land for the last 400 years.
Three generations of the Alvis family have been making the highest quality Cheddar cheese using traditional methods and skills such as the age-old ‘Cheddaring’. This process of turning and stacking the curd by hand is now used alongside new technology. The cheese is matured under carefully-controlled conditions for up to 18 months. When it is time to select the cheese, expert graders decide which cheese is best eaten young and which should be left to mature and develop its special features and flavours associated with West Country Farmhouse Cheese.
Agricultural Engineer Trainee Award – Sponsored by Bigwoods Agri & Deutz Fahr
Trading for over 35 years Bigwoods Agri Ltd has been a family run company from the beginning, supplying and maintaining new and used agricultural equipment. Now main retailers for Same, Deutz Fahr and Manitou, offering a large selection of new and used tractors and equipment. We offer full service and parts department back up, with fully trained technicians and a superb product line-up offers machines to suit every type of agricultural operation no matter how big or small.
Agri-business Trainee Award – Sponsored by Mitchells Chartered Accountants
Mitchells are one of the largest specialist agricultural accountancy practices in the South West, acting for over 400 farmers and related companies. The backgrounds of the partners and staff mean that their understanding of agriculture justifies their excellent reputation in that sector. They offer business advice, tax planning, growth and succession planning to businesses of all sizes, in addition to providing the routine accountancy and tax compliance service.
Work Experience Award – Sponsored by Greenslade Taylor Hunt
Greenslade Taylor Hunt is one of the leading independent professional teams of Chartered Surveyors, Land Agents,Valuers and Auctioneers in the West Country and has been providing specialist advice and professional services to the region’s Agricultural community for over 150 years.
Award for Further or Higher Education- Sponsored by Bridgwater College – Cannington Campus
Bridgwater College’s Cannington Centre is the perfect place to kick-start a career in the industry. In recent years, over £10 million has been invested in improving facilities and the resources for land-based training are now considered to be among the most exceptional in the country. Excellent links with key players in the industry mean that students have regular exposure to current practice and relevant work placements, which often result in exciting career opportunities.
It’s All About Dairy Award- Sponsored by Community Council for Somerset- Somerset Society
The Somerset Society Fund is administered by the Community Council for Somerset and is applied in the advancement of education and the improvement of the skills of country craftsmen.
In previous years money has been awarded for:
- top agricultural engineering students at Bridgwater College,
- students that need financial assistance for trips and equipment at Bridgwater College, Somerset College and Strode.
Award for Employer- Sponsored by Mole Valley Farmers
Mole Valley Farmers is delighted to be working with the Somerset Dairy Career Project and supporting the future members of the dairy industry. As a farmer owned, rural retailing business we recognise the importance of identifying, encouraging and supporting young people who are the future of the farming and food industry. The Somerset Dairy Career Awards are a great opportunity for young people making strides in the industry, and those supporting them, to be recognised and we are pleased to be sponsoring the Employer Award.
- Mole Valley Farmers was started in 1960 by a small group of farmers in South Molton, Devon. Today, there are 7,300 farmer shareholders and over 15,000 country members. It is one of the largest employers in the South West, with a turnover of £350 million and in excess of 1,600 staff. Mole Valley Farmers is one of the few businesses based on a co-operative model in the supply industry, with a total commitment to the farming and rural industry. Owned by farmers – for farmers, Mole Valley Farmers is proud of its agricultural heritage. Our ethos is to provide the best value for money over the widest range of products, combined with the highest level of customer service. With over 22,000 products available in store, we offer value pricing across a wide range of quality products. From feed and fencing, to animal health products, clothing and gardening – we have everything you need.
- Come into store, visit us online or call your local store for more information.